Equally fascinating is the the Matrix Game concept, info here.
Being holed up for the past two’ish years I’ve turned my attention back to miniature wargaming, but friends are distant and my days are often full. I said to myself “self, you ought to setup a remote game”. “Good idea self, let’s try making that a Matrix game too”.
Recruited a few friends to help me with my madman’s plan. Linked below is an evolving collection of our comms, where everything done via bcc’d e-mail – forcing a fog of war amongst the players.
We made good progress with the scenario and background setup in our first week. Then high summer hit, two graduations and a wedding yet to come. We should get back to this game in a few more week, setting up a table with some miniatures and dedicated player photos.
…and parliament I suppose, for those of you with a more puritanical bent.
There is a very fine To The Strongest variant for the ECW, titled For King & Parliament, which our club has had on the table these past few months. We are working our way through a nicely organized collection of scenarios for the period as well, the Siege of Norchester.
I’ll continue to refine this quick reference if the inspiration strikes. Please let me know if your have questions about these rules or my interpenetration. We’ve been playing a good deal and expect we will continue to do so.
Information spread across multiple sources, locations, or systems is difficult to access. This is a maximum of my professional world and applies equally to my hobby world, especially with complex or evolving rulesets.
To the Strongest is one such use case where periodic updates via the Even Stronger compilation add or clarify rules from the core book. I have taken on a small project to summarize the core rules, simplifying where I can, and adding the ES amendments.
2022 and I am still living in strange times. While I continue to work remotely and mask when out in public, I am starting to return to the physical table top. DunDraCon 2022 provided a great opportunity for that.
Really more a smash and grab to pick up some miniatures and cram in a couple of games from 8a to 2p, until I hurried home to my computer to play D&D online. The heart wants what the heart wants I suppose.
My early arrival at the con left me with a bit of time to kill, grabbing a cup of coffee I set down to paint for 30 minutes. DunDraCon hosts a fantastic weekend long paint & take event where all supplies and miniatures are provided by the hosts – a young married couple who are absoluetly enthusiastic about miniature painting .
The troll matron shown above was my 30 minute effort at the con, a result that I was very pleased with. It was an effortless piece that I thought I could replicate and share. Here’s my 2nd try at a video demo of this method which new painters might find interesting, or perhaps provide a challenge for seasoned vets.
If you take up this 30 minute challenge I would love see you efforts! I’ll set-up a gallery on this page highlighting everyone else’s work.
March 4 Update
Another video demo to share. Still learning about my camera stuff. This one shot in a single take, but didn’t start with correct landscape rotation. – Fixed that in post! Next up frame management & lighting.
I’ve been interested in Stargrave and while I have plenty of painted miniatures I have zero inspiration to create a crew, even less desire to puzzle over 52 powers, stat mods and what not. I want my friends to be empowered to start playing whenever we gather, not be blocked by record keeping before we even start.
Inspired by online RPG character generators (e.g. save vs total party kill) I’ve built a Google Sheet that randomly generates a Stargrave Captain & First Officer quickly. It produces things like…
There is a good deal of error checking here, but there could be a few bugs lurking especially on the 4th & 3rd powers for the Captain & First Officers respectively. I’ll continue to fine tune that section, but the tool works well enough for the stated objective.
Thank you to the Reddit user u/5eret who compiled the power list, that was my data set for this project. Without your work my task would have been much more difficult.